Glenn's Junk Chest

An assortment of Glenn's writings, photography, gaming resources, flash movies, and other creative output.


Monday, December 13, 2004

Fun: Liked and Disliked Words

Claudia Jane posted a list of liked and disliked words, and I felt the need to comment with my own list, which I replicate here, for your elucidation or disdain. (If this intrigues, Jon spoke about something similar a few weeks back on Nothing Good.)

like:
gazebo: A freestanding, roofed, usually open-sided structure providing a shady resting place.
eschew: To avoid; shun.
genre: A category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, marked by a distinctive style, form, or content.
characterize: To be a distinctive trait or mark of.
勉強する: (benkyou suru) to study. [japanese]

dislike:
laparoscopy: An operation in which a laparoscope is used, as in an examination of the liver or the surgical treatment of endometriosis.
employe: optional spelling; person who works for another in return for financial or other compensation.
anaranjado: the color orange. [spanish]

2 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Blogger Glenn said...

I also like "むずかしい", (muzukashi) which means difficult, but I don't know the kanji for it.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Eric The Read said...

I've got a few snigglets, but no favorite words. Though on a side note, Terry Pratchett really likes the word "susurrus"; while I agree its an interesting word, I'm not the biggest fan. Perhaps I'll stick with "spelunking".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home