Glenn's Junk Chest

An assortment of Glenn's writings, photography, gaming resources, flash movies, and other creative output.


Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Blog: Comment Spam

With some regret, I have turned on Blogger's "Word Verification" feature for comments. I've had to do this because of the recent increase in the amount of comment spam I've been getting. It wasn't so bad when it was just an occasional rogue comment on the most recent post, but the last time I made a small update, a script seized the day and made two comment posts deep in the archives. This is truly obnoxious, and it took me a while to find and delete them.

Verification is done by means of a captcha. This means that in order to leave a comment, you'll need to look at a distorted graphic of a short nonsense word and then type that word into a verification field. You've probably done something similar when registering for certain internet services.

Apologies for the extra (albiet slight) hassle.

4 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Blogger Eric The Read said...

Okay, I had to try this out. Just to see what it does...
Plus I gotta tell you I stop by every day just to see the MPotD.

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just so you know, I'm using IE 6.0, and the PotD doesn't appear to resize to fit the window. It could be a problem with my browser, though, I'll try again from home.

Also, do you have the PotDs queued up, or do you lovingly pick one and caption it every day?

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Glenn said...

I queue them up via top-secret technology that you can probably decode if you want to wade through my quickly written uncommented javascript. The Flickr archive is updated manually at this time, which means it sometimes won't be up to date. Since I'm on vacation this week at Disney, I actually queued up enough PoTDs to have them all through my vacation in case I didn't have connectivity. As it turns out, I do, and am writing this from the Beach Club Villas Resort at DisneyWorld as we speak.

I may post a few pictures to Flickr during my vacation, we'll see.

 
At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also visit most days to review your PoTD. Today's is of the Thai Pavilion there in Madison. It was on one of our visits (I'm Glenn's father-in-law) when you took this.

The story of the pavilion and how it got to Madison is quite interesting. Here's a link

Larry

 

Post a Comment

<< Home