Glenn's Junk Chest

An assortment of Glenn's writings, photography, gaming resources, flash movies, and other creative output.


Friday, July 08, 2005

Music: Pink Floyd at Live 8

Pink Floyd at Live 8
Pink Floyd is my favorite band. I've had the pleasure of seeing them live twice (albiet in the post-Waters era) here in Madison. As many of you probably know, at the recent Live 8 concert they reunited with long-estranged Roger Waters long enough to perform 4 of their songs, "Breathe", "Money", "Wish You Were Here" and "Comfortably Numb". Since it was in London, there was no way I could be there. This makes it the second such thing I've missed, since there wasn't any way I could be present for Roger Water's special Wall concert when the Berlin Wall came down, either.

Anyway, I wanted copies, and was extremely pleased when AOL (of all organizations) posted fairly high quality Quicktime movies of the Pink Floyd numbers, as well as movies of almost every significant Live 8 performance. (Update: These are now offline.) However, they tweaked the little flag that disallows Quicktime Pro from downloading copies to keep on your hard drive, which was a real blow. Fortunately, the actual video URLs are in the HTML, so I was able to grab them, which is always a handy trick to try when people try this kind of lock-out.

2 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Blogger Glenn said...

I had never thought Waters would perform with the Floyd again, so I found myself moved more than usual by the performance. I have two observations.

1) They're getting old. I heard they were offered a lot of money to do a reunion tour, but turned it down. Looking at them, I can believe that they just don't want to.

2) Their performance was amazingly tight. Pink Floyd has always had a reputation for having extremely high technical standards for live performances, and this was clearly no exception. They must have worked very hard to achieve that level of coordination after 20 years apart.

 
At 4:08 AM, Blogger Seth Johnson said...

Glenn--ping me via ICQ.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home