Glenn's Junk Chest

An assortment of Glenn's writings, photography, gaming resources, flash movies, and other creative output.


Monday, March 21, 2005

Family: Ivy 1, Santa 0

So as I was driving home from playgroup tonight, with Ivy and Rose sitting in the back, Ivy suddenly begins an interesting conversation. Here is a partial re-enactment, for the benefit of history.
Ivy: Daddy, I have a friend at school who says that her Mom and Dad are Santa Claus for her.
Glenn: Ah.
Ivy: She's wrong, right?
Glenn: What do you think?
Ivy: "I think that she's wrong, and that Santa Claus comes to her house."
Glenn "Why do you think that?"
Ivy: Because.
Glenn: Ah.
A few minutes pass. At this point, I have two worries. The first of which is that Rose will rouse from sleep, overhear this discussion and get upset. The second is that Ivy will press the point further and become upset if I tell her the truth.
Ivy: Daddy, would you tell me the truth?
Glenn: Yes, but I want to ask you some questions. Why is this important to you?
Ivy: I just want to know the truth.
Glenn: Is it because you're curious? Or because you're afraid you won't like the truth?
Ivy: Curious, I think.
Glenn: Do you remember when you asked me about Santa's reindeer, and I said that they could fly because they were magic?
Ivy: yes.
Glenn: I also told you once that magic was "just pretend", and when I said that about the reindeer, you said 'But you said magic was pretend.' At the time, I asked you what you thought about that, and you said you didn't know. What do you think now?
Ivy: (with dawning smugness) I know! I know! Mommies and Daddies dress up in Santa clothes.
Interestingly, at this point, Ivy, rather than bursting into tears, became fascinated by the logistics of the illusion. Most of this centered around Mall santas and the fact that they looked different, which she confessed to having observed. But I thought the following was interesting:
Ivy: Do the mall santas carry the presents to the Mommies and Daddies?
Glenn: (laugh) No, the parents buy the gifts.
Ivy: But how can they go to the store at night?
Glenn: No, we buy them beforehand.
Ivy: Then we'd see them sitting on the counter!
Glenn: We hide them.
Ivy: Oh!
Finally, I asked her if the discovery made her sad, to which she said no. In fact, she was very excited to tell mommy that she was "in" on the big secret. I told her not to tell her sister, but I imagine that's a doomed effort and that Ivy will let the truth slip sometime as Christmas approaches. We'll see.

I share with you this final exchange we had while talking about my elaborate marble trail.
Ivy: (suddenly) You ate the cookies and milk!
Glenn: Yes, they were very tasty cookies.
Ivy: Thanks, daddy!

6 Comments:

At 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regading the "mall santas", my mom always refered to them as "Santa's helpers", which I think was a pretty clever dodge on her part.

As for why the sky is blue, it's Rayleigh scattering; however, that's not nearly as big a secret.

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Liana said...

Not surprising, Ivy had a revelation this morning while searching the living room for plastic eggs filled with goodies. She marches up to us and says, "So if you guys are Santa, does that mean you are the Easter Bunny too?".

She is one sharp cookie. Although this one was a bit easier as we have made no effort at all to conceal things from them - for example, Friday night I went out to purchase "basket stuff".

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Liana said...

I should also add that, so far, she has been very careful what she says when Rose is near.

 
At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glenn:

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed this post!

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Bill D91 said...

Sharp cookie? Yes. She has taken the logic from one situation and successfully applied it to another one. It also means she's already 1-up on Tom DeLay and other Republican leaders.

 
At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Patmandx said...

Hi nice reading your posst

 

Post a Comment

<< Home