Glenn's Junk Chest

An assortment of Glenn's writings, photography, gaming resources, flash movies, and other creative output.


Thursday, February 24, 2005

Cooking: Glenn's Jambalaya Chicken Soup

Warning: This recipe is still in beta. I was looking for a good way to prepare two dark chicken quarters using other ingredients lying around, so the other night I pioneered this, and it came out great. That said, the proportions below may still require some adjustment.

Ingredients:
    • 1 1/2 cups (approx.) Zatarain's Jambalaya
            (cooked according to directions)
    • 2 dark chicken quarters
    • 8 cups water
    • 1 medium yellow onion, diced.
    • 2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
    • 1 tsp. salt
    • 1/2 tsp. oregano
    • 1/2 tsp. basil
    • 1/2 tsp. thyme
    • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
    • 1 cup dried vegetables
    • 2 cups wide egg noodles
    • 1 tbs. corn starch.
    • 4 oz. can mushroom stems and pieces
    • habeñero pepper sauce (optional)


Directions:
Prepare a package of Zatarain's Jambalaya according to the directions. (you don't need to add meat.)

Put the chicken in a pot, and add water, onion, olive oil, salt, oregano, basil, thyme, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and gently simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Remove chicken to a plate. Add the dried vegetables and continue simmering, uncovered, stirring occasionally.

While the vegetables are cooking, separate the meat from the chicken bones, remove and discard the skin, and cut the meat into small pieces. Add the meat back to the pot.

When the vegetables are becoming soft enough (about 15 minutes), add the noodles, and cook for about 10 minutes. Add the corn starch and mushrooms. Stir until corn starch is dissolved. Add rice a little bit at a time until desired consistency is reached. Cook for 5 more minutes. Salt and Pepper to taste, adding habeñero sauce if desired. Serves 4-6

Notes:
    • I like using the Zatarain's because it's easy to make in my rice cooker and it's something I usually have around. That said, I imagine any prepared rice would work, including leftovers, and each different type of rice should give the dish a different "spin".
    • I buy bulk dried vegetables for soups, stews and sides at the Willy Street Co-Op. They include carrots, corn, red peppers, and other yummy vegetable bits I cannot currently name.
    • When I add the meat to the pot, I put the bones back in too, figuring that they're easy enough to fish out at the end.
    • As written, I think the recipe needs more salt, but I don't want to risk saying too much until I get a chance to try it again.
    • As always, if you're going to spice it up with Habeñero sauce, I recommend either Da' Bomb or Dave's Insanity Sauce. Remember not to add too much. I'd probably use a single drop for most audiences, but if everyone wants their food spicy, you could probably add 3 or 4 safely. The Jambalaya will add a little heat all on its own, so this is definitely optional.

2 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Blogger Latigo Flint said...

Well done to you Sir. Latigo Flint is a big fan of pioneering chefs.

I would try it myself except that horrible things tend to happen when I try to cook elaborately. (Pot o' beans and assorted stews are about my limit.)

I dig your site. Never heard about that Jack Black pilot - nice find.

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Glenn said...

Well, I do have a mighty tasty stew recipe. I will endeavor to post it in the near future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home