Glenn's Junk Chest

An assortment of Glenn's writings, photography, gaming resources, flash movies, and other creative output.


Saturday, February 05, 2005

Cooking: Glenn's Curry Scrambler Recipe

Ingredients:
    • 1 slice of turkey ham, cut in small pieces
    • 2 green onions, chopped
    • 3 oz. mushroom stems and pieces
    • 6 eggs
    • 3 tbs. coconut milk
    • 1/4 tsp. pepper
    • 1 1/2 tsp. green curry paste
    • small pat of margarine
    • chopped leaves from 1/2 bunch of cilantro
    • salt
    • habeñero pepper sauce (optional)


Directions:
In a bowl, put in ham, green onions and mushrooms. Add eggs, coconut milk, pepper and curry paste. If desired, add a drop or two of habeñero sauce. Mix gently until yolks are broken and curry paste is distributed. Melt pat of margarine in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat until bottom of pan is greased, then pour in the mixture. Use a turner to periodically scramble the mixture in the pan until the eggs are cooked, and then remove from heat.

Plate the eggs as desired, salt to taste, and then sprinkle the cilantro over them. Serve immediately. Serves 2-3

Notes:
    • Don't use light coconut milk, it's the worst ingredient rip-off I'm currently aware of, as it's just coconut milk diluted with water at almost the exact same price. I don't think water would add anything to the dish, so if you want light, just use less coconut milk.
    • I'm using Thai Kitchen's green curry paste.
    • I'm using McCormick's szechuan style pepper blend for the pepper, but I bet anything would do.
    • The habeñero sauce is mostly about adding the "heat" that I associate with curry dishes of this type, without changing the flavor much. I use Da' Bomb, but I bet Dave's Insanity Sauce would work just as well. I'd stay away from pepper sauces like Tabasco, as I think they would add too much vinegar flavor.
    • I usually use about 1/2 a can of mushrooms, but I bet fresh would work as well, if not better. I also think you could probably replace the mushrooms with more meat instead, if you were so inclined.

2 Comments:

At 12:42 AM, Blogger Glenn said...

A lot more information on coconut milk, if you're interested.

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger Scott said...

It sounds delicious. It makes me hungry for some Thai food. Luckily, I think there's a place around here that serves Thai food. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home