Glenn's Junk Chest

An assortment of Glenn's writings, photography, gaming resources, flash movies, and other creative output.


Thursday, November 04, 2004

Politics: Wedge Issues of the 1860s

I was watching Oh Brother, Where Art Thou with my wife when the movie's usage of the word "miscegenation" came under discussion. I did a little digging, and found this extremely interesting story about how the word came into existance. It's a fascinating read.

Anyway, the comparision between miscegenation and the current hot-button issue of gay relations is not a new one. But, as you read about how the racist Democratic machine of the 1860s used interracial marriage during a presidential election, I'm sure you'll draw some interesting parallels to how the Republican machine of today uses gay marriage.

Additionally, I always find it interesting to read about when the Democratic party were essentially what I would consider to be "bad guys".

1 Comments:

At 1:33 AM, Blogger Jon said...

You're right. Pretty darn interesting and definitely a nasty tactic, BUT they were willing to go for the jugular. I think the Democrats have become too soft over the years. They need to get the killer instincts the Republicans have if they're going to make some headway.

Glad to see you blogging, Glenn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home