Glenn's Junk Chest

An assortment of Glenn's writings, photography, gaming resources, flash movies, and other creative output.


Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Dining: Bring on the Heat!

Well, I've been enjoying a surge of interest (read: obsession) with spicy food. There's certainly some element of machismo in the whole thing, but mostly I just think it makes the food taste terrific.

The well-publicized reason for this, of course, is that the pain sensations trigger an endorphin release. Like other things like this, this has addictive qualities. Fortunately, it's an addiction that might actually have positive effects.

After a recent trip to the Mt. Horeb Mustard Museum, I acquired two lovely high-heat hot sauces, Dave's Insanity Sauce and Da' Bomb: Beyond Insanity. At 80,000 and 120,000 Scoville units, a single drop of either is enough to make a bowl of chili too hot for most people I know to eat. (Heck, a single drop might be enough to make a whole pot of chili too hot for a lot of people to eat. That's awesome!)

Now that they're in my possession, I'm trying to lure others (you?) to the dark side. While searching around for some information on peppers for a coworker, I stumbled across a collection of stories of spicy stuff gone awry. Everybody has such a story, sure, but some of these are pretty funny, and I decided to share.

2 Comments:

At 11:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Glenn, You don't know me, but I found your site through your wife's site which I just had to check out because my name is Liana and I also graduated from high school in 1987. I thought your wife might be my doppelganger or something of the sort. Anyway, you may be the only other person I know that owns a bottle of Dave's Insanity. Our (my husband and I) first experience with Dave's was quite painful...then we read the bottle. Now I put one drop in each batch of guacamole, and that's plenty. Soon after purchase the lid cracked and fell off (that should be a warning in itself!) and now I have a ziploc baggie twist-tied over the top of the bottle. If that doesn't say "STAY OUT!" I don't know what does.
(posting anonymously because I'm too lazy to sign up right now),
Liana Ottaviano
Bend, Oregon

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Glenn said...

It's all right, I hate signing up for stuff like that myself. Nice to meet you, and thank you for stopping by. I'll point out your comment to my wife, as I'm sure she'll get a big kick out of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home